Corporate Housekeeping for nonprofits
March 13 | 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
The nonprofit sector is subject to extensive regulation by the Office of the Attorney General, the Department of State, and the IRS. Further, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 contains extensive changes to the tax code that impacts the tax treatment of nonprofits, their employees, and their donors. Join New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, attorneys from Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, and Foundation Center for a session to help you navigate local, state, and federal rules. Our expert attorneys will provide valuable insight on:
- how to assess your organization’s status;
- an overview of board responsibilities and best practices;
- tips for staying on track with filing requirements; and
- the impact of recent law and regulatory changes.
Please note that this class is intended for nonprofits that are already set up and established. More information is available here.
Nonprofit Fundamentals Series
from April 2, 2019 | 9:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m. (weekly for five weeks)
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, Candid., and Support Center are running our third Nonprofit Formation Fundamentals Series to help individuals gain a basic understanding and the skills needed to start a nonprofit organization. If you are thinking about starting a nonprofit, recently established a nonprofit, or are new to the sector and want to learn more, join us for this special FREE series. Participants are encouraged to attend all sessions to receive maximum benefit:
- Legal Considerations before Starting a Nonprofit, April 2, register here
- Financial Management Basics for Newly Established Nonprofits, April 9, register here
- Best Practices for Good Governance and Board Development, April 16, register here
- Fundraising Essentials for Newly-Established Nonprofits, April 23, register here
- Communications Planning and Marketing Basics for Newly-Established Nonprofit, April 30, register here
Michael Rothenberg Memorial Golf Outing
NYLPI’s Annual Michael Rothenberg Memorial Golf Outing is held every July at Bethpage State Park’s Red Course. The full day event includes a morning 9-hole summer associate golf tournament, a seated brunch, evening cocktail reception, and beginner’s clinic for novice golfers, and provided sponsors with numerous recognition and networking opportunities both on and off the golf course. More information on the 2019 event will be posted here soon.
Felix Fishman Awards Luncheon
NYLPI’s Annual Felix A. Fishman Awards Luncheon honors two individuals for their outstanding contributions to expanding access to justice. Lawyers from major New York City law firms and corporate law departments and members of the public interest community come together to celebrate social justice work in New York City. More information on the 2019 event will be posted here in the New Year.
A new initiative at NYLPI, these events are free to attend! We invite our closest partners to join us for fun events like: a guided tour of a relevant exhibition at a Museum, Dinner & Discourse, and other networking events. More information will be posted here soon.